Monday, October 24, 2011

Musical Moments

by Emma Buckhout, IWM serving in Mexico City

Just like a clear sunny day or seeing Orion from my roof, music has the ability to remind me of God's presence wherever I am. Music surrounds us anywhere we go, no matter the country. Yet recently I have been more in tune to how it weaves through each facet of my missionary experience here in Santa Fe, Mexico City. Whether music is on in the background, or I am listening to people singing or playing, watching a dance, or singing along myself, music is a powerful force pulling people together, expressing individual and communal creativity, relating history, praising God, and teaching me more about myself, my community, and my God.
---
“Hola niños, hola niñas, hola todos, es tiempo de música.”
Since Kirsten arrived in our IWM community in Santa Fe with her music therapy background, my (volunteer missionary) preschool teacher job description now includes part-time music teacher. Three days a week Kirsten and I give four special music sessions to the classes of two, three, four, and five-year-old children at the guardería. The purpose of the class is to reinforce the established curriculum, promote following directions, and improve fine and gross motor skills, creativity and expression. So far some of the lessons have focused on numbers and counting—“Sally the Camel”, emotions—“If You´re Happy and You Know It”, colors, days of the week, creating and following rhythm or dance, and playing tambourines or maracas along with the music. Needless to say, I have learned a lot of children's songs in Spanish. The most rewarding part has been seeing a student who struggles to focus and is always in trouble, like three-year-old Brian, sitting rapt in his seat, grinning and singing along.
---
“El Espíritu de Dios está en este lugar.”
The children's choir, averaging about eight kids ages five to sixteen, sings out from the choir loft at the 1pm mass on Sundays. They sing and play a rain stick, tambourine, and maracas as Jessi plays the organ and I sing along, help direct, and make sure no one leans too far over the railing. It was really hard to sing in mass when we first arrived because there are no hymnals or song books. People that have grown up in the church know the common songs by heart. Singing with the choir has been my way of catching up a bit. Jessi tries to choose songs that the youth enjoy and that the congregation can sing along with. It was really confusing at first, but there is a beauty of tradition and shared culture. And yet the children's choir, with all their energy and spunk that is sometimes easier to direct than others, adds their own life to the celebration of mass.
---
“All of You is more than enough for all of me.”
We have set every Monday night is aside for community night with Tara, Kirsten and me. We prepare dinner, check-in on any community logistics, share how we are and for what we need support, and spend time in open prayer with and for one another. These nights have been a very intimate and special time of vulnerability, conflict-resolution, and sharing in God´s Spirit. A couple nights of prayer have even ended in singing praise songs, with and without Kirsten's guitar. After all, it was said, “He who sings prays twice.” Praise singing has brought me a very special awareness and communication with God, so it has been truly special to share that with my community members. It is a rare harmony of voice and prayer.
---
“Do your ears hang low, do they wobble to and fro?”
Sometimes music just comes as the release of pure joy, energy, and silliness. Tara and I simultaneously burst into a rendition of “Do Your Ears Hang Low” while shopping at the market one day. Kirsten was mildly surprised when we entered the house with a choreographed dance. And no, it had nothing to do with teaching preschool music. I don't even want to know what anyone who passed us on the street thought.
---
“There goes the baker with his tray like always, the same old bread and rolls to sell….”
Kirsten and I also spontaneously sang most of the “Belle” song from Beauty and the Beast while preparing dinner one community night. I'm not sure how it started, but once started there was no stopping.
---
“Guantanamera”
During the week of the Jornada Teológica del Norte, a conference to discuss liberation theology in Mexico, the United States and Canada, Miriam organized a “Noche Bohemia” at the parish for some friends that were participating. After a panel on human rights, we headed back to Santa Fe for dinner and music. The music “tocada” included three guitars, an accordion, the occasional water glass percussion and quite the collection of voices: Father Salvador, three priests, a jóven from one of their parishes, Miriam's Mexican friend who currently works with migrants in California, friends from the parish young and old, and us missionaries from the United States, Canada and Ireland. We sang mostly Mexican ranchera songs, but one priest performed a German yodeling song, and we all joined in a bilingual version of “El Rey”. The climax of the evening came with a drawn-out rendition of “Guantanamera” during which everyone around the table added their own verse, even those of us who speak Spanglish. It was a beautiful moment of open sharing of appreciation of music and one another's presence.
---
“Tuyo Soy”
On Thursday afternoon it can be difficult to talk in our kitchen because song drifts in from the chapel in the front of our house. Each Thursday, two ministers from the church spend their day in our chapel for Adoration. People passing on the busy street can stop as they wish and join. And when I get home from work to have a snack, above the noise of the traffic outside, I am reminded of the holiness that is in our house but also in the whole of Santa Fe.
---
“Bendice Señor nuestra mesa, y enséñanos a compartir nuestra alegría aleluya, y nuestro pan también.”
We sang to bless the meal with the Incarnate Word Sisters Martha, Guillerma and Fabiola of Santa Fe along with several gathered friends as we had lunch at the parish on Sunday in honor of Kathy's visit. Then we sang the next day before our meal on retreat in Cuernavaca. So many tables are shared with me here in Mexico. I hope that I will always be as generous and quick to share my table, happiness and bread as well.
---                            
“Yo no sé mañana si estaremos juntos si acaba el mundo.”
I rock out to one of my favorite pop salsa songs as I walk down the sidewalk or it plays in zumba class or the bus driver turns it on. I get really excited when I can sing along with what I hear without stopping to think if it is in Spanish or English.
---
Music is a universal language. I have always loved to sing, but here in Santa Fe I have a whole new repertoire of songs to learn. I have a lot of listening yet to do, but I am extremely blessed that so often I am invited to join in, whether or not I know the words yet, and whether they are in English or Spanish.


Two-year-old music class participants like what they hear

Children's choir prepares for rehearsal

3 comments:

  1. Hello Emma Buckhout,
    I couldn't help but find out what these two years old where so attentive about. I think it's a wonderful thing you are doing with these children in the guardaria. I can only imagine what it must be like to get all the attention and concentration from all the students. I find it quite admiring and encourage you to keep on. One of the students may really follow through over the years with music and have you to thank!I have a 10 month old and he loves music. He especially enjoys when I read to him " Six Little Ducks" or "The Wheels on the Bus". He cracks up and turn the pages sometimes. Well Emma best of luck and thanks for encouraging little angels of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful story about how music brings people together!! Thank you Emma Buckhout for sharing your experiences with these children and everyone you come across while being a missionary in Santa Fe, Mexico City. I loved reading about the songs and children enjoying them... It brought back some of my memories growing up and learning music in school and church. It makes me smile! May the Lord bless you as you continue to be a missionary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its awesome how they reached out to these kids through music. Sometimes i feel like when you go to different countries its hard to commuicate because of the language bariier, but music is something that everyone around the world can commuicate with.

    ReplyDelete